Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Playing Catch-Up

Saturday night and Sunday eventually turned craptastic due to having to go in to work after playing hockey. Even Saturday night hockey was soured by a dark cloud that seemed to be following only me around. I couldn’t shake this morose feeling, I don’t quite know why I was feeling so dismal. Little things were pissing me off that normally I let slide. It was unusual.

I arrived home from work around 3:30am, grabbed three hours sleep and back in to Ingersoll from 8:30 to 11:30am. I missed my Sunday morning run for the first time in a long time. I napped a bit in the afternoon and returned to work for 6am Monday morning.

By 10am, I had had enough and booked out. I enjoyed some lunch and made my way over to Patch’s Palace (the new “Platinum” Masonville GoodLife) to resurrect a few endorphins to get myself back on track.

It seems Monday was “Blue Monday”, the most depressing day of the year. As Bugs Bunny used to say, “Eh, could be you, Doc!”

Still not feeing quite 100 per cent, I opted for an hour on the epileptical machine. I’ve used the elliptical as my go-to cross trainer for quite awhile now. Like a good old fashioned LSD run, the low impact elliptical can build those big fat mighty mitochondria in the running muscles.

A good night’s sleep and back to normal(-ish).

Tuesday’s run was a Caveman simple 7.5 km route with a dash of snow to complicate the footing. Normal traffic complications for a winter run and an admonition from Holly to “Suck it up buttercup” when the traction got sketchy on Waterloo near Cheapside.


We finished with a reasonable time 37min17sec with an average pace under 5 minutes including a negative split after the first couple of kilometers. Marc rabbited the last leg while Bob and I commiserated about the 3:29min/km we had to run just to eat his dust.

I could tease Victoria about having to run to catch a plane but she didn’t hang around long enough for us to be able to get much teasing in, although following her progress was easy enough.

We’ll have to see what tonight offers. The route isn’t planned yet and if tradition holds, we’ll run with the cavemen once more.

No comments: