Thursday, January 21, 2010

Redwoods and a Drinking Problem

One of the strange things about running is that you meet people for the first time and get to know more about them in a single run than people you have worked with for years. You may or may not ever run with this person ever again.

Last night, Graham and I broke away from the pack with Dave (I think it was Dave, I’m going to stick with Dave it may have been Eugene, or Horace, I’m terrible with names but never forget a story)Dave has competed in many marathons but was most impressed by the beauty of “The Avenue of Giants” marathon in Humboldt County, Northern California.

Run under the canopy of ancient redwoods, it is one of the most scenic events in North America. Although remote, Dave recommends this event of all the California marathons.
I’m keeping this one in the back of my mind, it looks inspirational.

All the talking and listening aside, last night’s run was about 7 miles (11.24 km). Up and over Windemere Hill, on the worst sidewalk in all of London. (Even the sidewalks over the dreaded Richmond and Adelaide bridges where in better shape than Windemere’s). We completed the route with relaxed pace of 5:18 on a cold night. Going out I was fine but on the way in, my hips and hamstrings were cold and stiff. Hockey legs didn’t help over the last kilometer.

I need to pay better attention to my hydration on Wednesday’s, I woke up about an hour or so after going to bed with a very nasty cramp in my right calf. I bolted upright out of bed, and was able to stretch it before it totally locked in. These cramps can hurt so bad that I can be nauseous. I caught it in time but it was a close call.

Weighing myself this morning, I appears that I dropped about 3.5 pounds in water weight. My bad. Perhaps I better read up on the diuretic effects of green tea, which was the only beverage that I drank yesterday that I haven’t had in awhile. I’ll be sucking back some Gatorade this morning just to be on the safe side.

No comments: