Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Bob Rocks Socks

I had the ability to reschedule my day and work the early shift so that I could get in a quick strength workout before the Tuesday Night Marathon Clinic. It was guaranteed to be a special night. Bob was delivering his presentation on socks.

The Sockologist knocked it out of the park. Everyone attending came away with some tidbit of information regarding selecting the proper sock for their athletic endeavors. I didn’t know there was such a thing at a “tab” sock. The tab would likely have saved my left heel from the (embarrassing) rawness left by my flirtation with my Zoot shoes. Not even my inept attempt at unnerving Bob with my socksy Pook Toque interrupted his command performance. There were even color handouts and an original piece of artwork depicting Tim the Running Room Manager and our intrepid leader Marc. Victoria made a special guest appearance in civilian clothing. She’s nursing a (hopefully) minor injury and wasn’t able to humiliate us on the road this week.

Once we finally hit the streets for our 6km Tempo Run, it had being snowing lightly. The sidewalks and roads were greasy and the footing was uneven. We ran last week’s course in reverse this time around. At one point the entire lead group read as a who’s who of the Free Radicals. Other than brain cramping on the turn at Waterloo and taking a rather scenic but wandering path it was an uneventful run. I believe we decided to blame the course correction on Shane who was able to join us for the first time in about a month. Marty peeled off early to head back, while Karen and I fell just off the pace about 1500 meters from the end. The breakaway group also splintered with Bob crossing Oxford by himself and the remainder opting to return via Richmond. Karen and I got stuck at the Richmond and Oxford light but rolled in on a 4:50 pace looking much stronger than either of us felt. Overall the 6.5km was completed at a breathtakingly normalized 5:06 pace.

I’ve been reading the Couch to Kenyan Blog on the Canadian Running website. Rebecca Gardiner’s writing has a wry humour that anyone training for a marathon can easily comprehend. I’ve been trying to keep up with her in the comment section with the two of us having a few good laughs. I highly recommend getting on her update list. I’m investigating the process for nominating her as the first Honorary Member of the Free Radicals. Of course this is once we decide to schedule the Annual General Meeting, elect the Bored (of) Directors, and pay the outstanding bar tab.

2 comments:

Stacey said...

I am REALLY glad to see that I'm not the only one who gets excited about socks. :) I love my running socks.

Jeff said...

I'm beginning to comprehend this infatuation with socks. I suppose it was my socksual awakening.