Friday, February 5, 2010

What a Difference

What a difference a week makes. After suffering through one of the worst treadmill experiences of my life last Thursday, I was apprehensive about repeating the experience last night.


I opted not to continue breaking in my Zoot’s. I’ll get back to them after I sock up properly and my abrasions have healed. They are still a wee bit raw. I did drag along the Brooks Adrenaline GTS 8’s that may be on their last legs. I really like the way the shoe feels, so neutral, I barely notice the insole. I stopped running in them when I had my hamstring problem last summer. At around 500 km. I figured I’d run most of the cushioning out of them.


Learning from Saturday’s training that a warm-up might be a wise choice before jumping on the treadmill; I did thirty minutes at of Random hills on level 12. Erica did a quick fly-by with a London Free Press article on Barefoot Running. I haven’t been able to find the article online but it was a basic picture essay of the research done by “The Barefoot Professor”. She provided me with her email address and I sent her some links on the shitstorm debate that ensued between the minimalist running society and the cushionie-pillow propagandists.


After warming-up, I started on the treadmill using the slightest incline again (.5%). Went for five minutes at level 6.0 to get a feel for pacing, felt good, bumped it up to 6.5, still felt good at the 10 minute mark. Dialed it up to 7.0 and did a health check every 10 minutes for the next 40 minutes.


It wasn’t easy; I don’t like my running form on the GoodLife treadmills. In the ultra-deluxe Platinum abode, every cardio device has a dedicated video screen. Only half a dozen channels from Bell Expressview, but you get your own screen. My pet peeve is that, on the treadmill, the screen is below your line of sight. You have to tip your head down to watch TSN or HGTV or whatever mindless content you can tolerate. If you turn the annoyance off, the dull grey mirror is less than a foot away from your nose if your get up tight to the control console. Very distracting, I’d almost beg them to remove the screens from a couple of the treadmills just to relieve the claustrophobia. Unfortunately that would make Patch’s London Palace like all of his other Clubs. *sigh* Why can’t I be happy with the luxury?


Anyway, I digress, but it’s my blog and I can digress if I want to. Heck I can even dangle a participle or two.


I rocked out the 50 minutes, didn’t back off the 7.0 pacing. Felt not too bad the last five minutes, and resisted the urge to try 7.5. I also decided that I’ve definitely run the cushioning out of my Adrenalines.


It’s decision time. What am I going to do about new shoes? I really like the Adidas Sequence II’s. They are comparable to the Brooks Adrenaline GTS. Do I try Asics like most of the rest of my group? Asics Kayano’s are similar to the Brooks Trance that I don’t tolerate quite as well. Maybe I should just run barefoot. After all, given how cold it is outside after my feet go numb, I wouldn't feel any pain at all – would I?

1 comment:

Revrunner said...

I ran in Asics Kayanos for years, then started straying off the beaten path (literally). I'm now on my second pair of Asics Trail Sensor. Same shoe, essentially, just better traction and toe protection, I think.