Wednesday, February 24, 2010

ZombieLand

I spent an hour on the elliptical machine at Good Life yesterday trying to determine the extent of my leg issues. Seeing as each leg has different symptoms, I’m trying to assess what I’m going to tell Mel when I see her for my physio appointment on Friday.

First and foremost the left leg is weak. I was able to churn away for the whole hour without pain but not any speed. The quads on both side complained like I was doing squats but not enough to make me consider stopping. It may have been sympathy pains since the Men’s Olympic 10,000 meter speed skating was on the television. I can isolate the groin muscle that I’ve pulled/strained/annoyed/aggravated. How I managed this feat of stupidity will be left open to debate by scholars for generations to come.

The right ankle felt better as time went on. Both feet went prickly at about 30 minutes. I forgot my water bottle and towel. The battery in my iPod died. Typical workout.

At the end, I completed my stretching and walked around a bit. Everything felt good. I was happy.

I popped home for a quick bite of supper and off to the Tuesday night marathon clinic. The topic was cross training, but we had a speaker on stretching and yoga. Good stuff, however …..

Walking from the car to the Running Room, perhaps a total of 200 meters, I started locking up. WTF!

Cold, damp, it went right through me. I was actually shivering by the time I got to the door.

I watched everyone take off running and then walked back to the car. If there was a soundtrack to this debacle it would have been MJ’s Thriller. It was almost a zombie walk, dragging the leg along before it fell off. Good thing I had no intentions of running.

My generous and slightly sadistic wife searched both side for knots and trigger points. In her expert opinion, I was fine. No significant knots, bulges, bumps, or boo-boos.

Today, back to Good Life, I have tunes, towel, and a bit of trepidation. I’m also going to sit in the sauna. If I’m going to be miserable, I’m going to be a warm miserable.

No comments: