Thursday, April 22, 2010

Not Fragile

It seems like I survived the 32km run without too many ill effects.  My nipples still hurt like hell when I shower, but I could easily stop showering until they heal.  I might get thrown out of the house, but it was a thought.

After work on Tuesday, I popped in to the gym to spin out the legs before our clinic tempo run later that evening. It was a fantastic day outside and the parking lot at GoodLife was virtually empty. It made no sense for me to go for a run before going out for a run so I decided to play with the Precor elliptical. There was a good tutorial on the Precor website about the functionality of the console. There are some things hidden under the options menu like changing units from Imperial (US) to metric (Canada). I set up a hill program for 30 minutes at a reasonably low intensity. The resistance at the beginning was almost nonexistent, but as the hill climb continued it increased but certainly not a hard as I had it set on Saturday. I played with the crossramp, moving it down from 10 to 0 and up a bit just to see how much incline there was at the default setting of 10. The 30 minutes flew by listing to Linkin Park’s Meteroa and watching some bulging bride nonsense on the video display.

We had a special guest speaker give a presentation on mental preparation to our marathon clinic group. Sports Psychologist , Dr. Natascha Wesch helped us understand the “can do” versus “can’t do” aspects of performance affirmation. It’s hard to get into too many specifics in the short 30 minute time slot but her talk was interesting and informative. I’m hoping that she’ll be able to provide her insights to more of the Running Room clinics and in particular the “Learn to Run” groups. Her website is http://www.elitemindperformance.com/ Check out her April tip!

Once we got around to running, the temperature had dropped a bit. I went back in for my run jacket, shorts and t-shirt weren’t going to cut it for me on this run.

I really didn’t have a game plant, Victoria was still off celebrating her Boston Marathon. (Which she completed in a spectacular 3:20:53! Nicole wasn’t there, so I went out at a reasonable pace and found myself up at the front with the usual suspects. I lollygagged around the first kilometer and a bit. Bob jumped the light at Oxford, Marty Marc, Rebecca, and myself waited patiently (and safely) on the sidewalk for the light to change. Marty sped up after Bob, Marc and Rebecca were having a conversation and Marc commented he was going to run a negative split. I picked up my pace a bit and separated myself into third position behind jackrabbit Bob and Marty.

I was hoping that whatever was tight in my right shin would eventually work itself out. My left shin had been annoying when leg wasn’t functioning correctly (compressed nerve). I didn’t think too much about (trying to be in positive headspace). Our goal on the run was to listen to our “inner voice” and see what it was telling us. Were we filled with positive thought and images or negative ones.

I tried a couple of times to surge and close the gap on Marty. He wasn’t having too much luck catching Bob but the gaps we’re increasing either. We ran through the university and up the hill by the new recreation center and TRAC.

It was about this time, I began wondering about the pain in my shin, that tightness wasn’t releasing as the run went on. I also wondered if this was my mind playing tricks on me. Cue the inner dialogue.

Me: Don’t allow negative thoughts in to your head.
Myself: Right. My leg hurts.
Me: Your leg always hurts.
Myself: Not this leg, not the shin.
Me: It’s always something, “Don’t think about it”

I find myself singing the lyric of my go to song in my head. Linkin Park’s - Given Up

To me there is nothing negative about this song. It’s full of energy and power and I’ve got scientific research on my side to back me up that swearing increases performance. Besides screaming “Put me out of my misery!” at the top of your lungs in the middle of a race is a great way to open up space and knock your competitors off their stride as you surge pass them on the steepest inclines.
 
I had to break stride on Western Road while a car blocked the sidewalk. I knew the driver didn’t see me as s(he) backed up but the kid that blasted past on his bike was about a half second away from being flung head first in to oncoming traffic. I never did catch up to Marty, but he never did catch up to Bob, and Marc never got around to that big negative split.

I finished, knew I had a problem. At home I iced the shine. That’s right, Mr. Perpetually Cold went for the ice, and the Traumeel. Wednesday I had Tylenol for breakfast, Motrin at lunch, at work, I had to ice it some more. It hurt during my noon hour walk. My appointment with Nicole got side tracked as she did a quick evaluation of this new problem. The symptoms are very close to stress fracture, on the bone, localized to one position, but the testing contradicts the symptoms. Time for more positive thinking, “ It’s not a stress fracture.” We hit it with some ultrasound, stripped the muscles, and play the wait and see game .

It still hurts this morning; I tried the one legged hop test. I can hop 10 times without swearing. I can’t believe I’m this fragile. Wait, we’re going for positives here. I’m Not Fragile.

The times we travel in our lives
Are hard and give us drive
We may seem distant most of the time
But many thoughts are still on our minds
Not Fragile

No comments: