Monday, May 10, 2010

Miles and Miles

I’ve made it to the last week before my first marathon. There’s the old saying, “Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly bruised and battered, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, ' What a Ride!”

Taper or no taper, I’ve reached the point of feeling “thoroughly used up.”

It’s a good feeling. I know I trained hard. I’ve done my best.

At the outset of this journey, my aspirations were higher than my body was able to deliver. I know I’m capable of under a four hour marathon, maybe someday running the Boston Marathon. I also know that it’s going to depend on the day. Weather is going to be a significant determining factor. If it’s cold and wet, I’m going to be cold and wet. Not my two favorite things. My first marathon will not qualify me for Boston, my body isn’t ready – yet.

The start is Sunday at 7:30am, it will be cool. I won’t finish until after 11am, it could be warm, I best be prepared.

No matter what the day provides, I’m planning on having fun. I love to run. I love the freedom. I love the feeling, the good and the bad. I feel alive.

Everything I have done for the past month has been to get me to the starting line. I’ve lived at the gym, stayed out of the cold and the wet, behaved like I’m made of sugar. It’s worked.

I’m rested, relaxed, and restless. More than ready to go. There is another R as well: Routine. Nothing new, stick with the routine.

I’m packing every piece of running clothing I own. Long range forecast looks good, but we’re talking Southwestern Ontario weather, “You don’t like the weather, wait 15 minutes, it will change.”

I’m hitting the one of the Thrift Stores this week for start line clothes, stuff I can pass on. Who knows, I may even find something I can toss later in the race when it warms up.

It’s going to be a long week. I’m ready to go now. It’s going to be a week of diversions, anything to keep my mind occupied. I get my orthotics on Wednesday, no running in them until after the marathon. My yard may be the benefactor of all the taper energy.

So folks, I made it.

There is nothing else to do but get on the course and cross that finish line.

Oh yeah and smile.

Just try and wipe the smile off my face

No comments: