Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Back in the Saddle Again

This week marks the beginning of a new season of marathon training. My goal race is the last fall version of the Toronto Goodlife Marathon. This event is one week after the Chicago Marathon that my training group targeted back in January as their premier event for this calendar year.

A secondary event on the way to my second attempt at completing a marathon will be the Scotiabank Toronto Half Marathon in September. I will be running this event with the Marathon Quest group from Canadian Running Magazine and nagging motivating Rebecca Gardiner in her personal quest to humiliate humble her brother.

Just for grins I have added a cheeky little 5K race to my schedule in Port Stanley, Ontario. The Reach the Beach course has a significant hill at the midpoint that I tried to run while injured last year. I have a return grudge match planned with that hill this year. I will not be injured and I will be in shape.

I have a couple of differing training schedules to reference. I am beginning my training following this schedule based upon Runners World SmartCoach. It seems aggressive but time will tell if my body can take it this time around. Although I have been whimpering about my lack of running mojo it appears that I will have actually run as much in June as I did April leading up to Mississauga. In fact I may be averaging out the same mileage as March as well. This is mileage accumulated running and does not include any cross training.

While I’ve been a no show at the gym for most of June, I have walked almost every day, sometimes including days where I have run in the morning, I have walked in the evening. I haven’t tracked my walking as part of my “naked” recovery plan. I’ve managed to complete the month of June “half naked” for the most part.

While you’re trying to figure out the naked truth, I’ll spare you the mental imagery. I've unplugged the technology and  haven’t worn my HRM since running Mississauga without my Garmin. I was going to leave the Garmin watch off for the month of June but felt the need to validate some of the distances and paces since I was feeling so off during my recovery period. Minimizing the electronic monitoring is what defines you as being naked. I’m going to finish out the rest of the month and then gear back up for July. I’m curious how the heat and humidity is affecting me. I feel slow although I’m working hard. My pace seems stuck in around 5:30min/km, I need to be able to maintain just under 5min/km pace to BQ.

Last night was our first official training run, a hilly 10K. In was humbling in the heat and humidity. This morning I did a 6km recovery run at 5:30 am. It was almost too cool at the start but I was certainly warm enough by the end. I foresee quite a few early morning runs over the next couple of months.

Scream along with me ….

I'm back
I'm back in the saddle again

No comments: