Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Next?

I haven’t forgotten that I have a blog, I haven’t had much to write about that’s worth reading.

My running and workout schedule is non-existent. What-ever thoughts I had about getting in long runs during the month of December are long gone. Between work and weather, I have lost any opportunity to attempt getting close to a 30km run. In fact, in the past two weeks, I only made it out to run on the Sundays. I know I really shouldn’t be stressing about this too much but I feel like a colossal failure. Part of the stress is that I should be feeling quite rested and raring to go. I don’t. I feel tired and lethargic and totally out of gas. My lower body aches, particularly my lower back. While I haven’t had to twist to throw snow up the six foot banks, I have been pushing the snow scoop uphill ad nauseum.

I can’t seem to get in to any kind of a rhythm and the holidays aren’t going to make this any easier.

There have been some successes. I’ve been very successful at eating. My calorie intake has remained at marathon levels. Since I stopped calorie tracking on SparkPeople my weight has been trending upwards. Nothing too dramatic but there is some truth in the statement that marathon training makes you gain weight. I’ve added 10 pounds from my lowest weight which is not necessarily a bad thing but bears watching .

I have never been able to master the more calories earlier in the day and fewer calories at night. I find myself hungrier at night than earlier in the day. Most of that late day calorie intake is not of the best food choices.

So what’s a guy to do?

I contemplated taking a break after Disney to see if I could shake feeling so crappy. The thing is that I don’t think I need less structure, I think I need more structure. I need a reason to get moving. I need the structure of a running program. I don’t want to think, I want to do. Having to figure out a schedule, plan a run, deal with work, and stress and organizing my life just isn’t working for me.

Most of my running group is joining a winter marathon clinic with a mid-May goal race. A number of them have already decided to run a 30km race at the end of March. I could sit on the sidelines chillaxin’. Or I could get off my ass and join them.

Guess what I decided.

No comments: