Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Up for a Challenge?

It was on 1/11/10 when members of my “new” training group were making plans for 10/10/10 that I registered for the Goofy Challenge. I’ve had almost a whole year to plan and train for this event, yet I can’t help but feel unprepared. Plans for a family vacation became sidetracked when the youngest announced he wasn’t getting on an airplane. Given his history of anxiety, we decided not to risk him actually carrying out threat. This year he’ll be spending time with a child psychologist as we try and figure out how to help him cope better with things outside of his very narrow comfort zone.


I’ve been fighting some lingering flu bug the past couple of weeks. My throat has been sore and my energy levels constantly low. My whole approach to this event has been very low key. No long runs, between work and weather and just not feeling good it’s been a struggle to find balance between having a life and training, in the end, neither won.

I feel somewhat overwhelmed going in to this event. Since the kids have been born, there hasn’t been much traveling. I don’t think I’ve been in to the States in almost a decade, certainly not since 9/11 when so much has changed in getting between our two countries. All I have to do is get my but across the border to my hotel in Detroit, park the car and trust my travel agent. Over the next six days, once the car is parked, I am transited via shuttle bus to the airport, from the airport, around the resort, back to the airport, and finally back to the hotel to pick up my car. All I have to do in the interim, is haul my butt 39.3 miles around Walt Disney World in a 30 hour time span. In theory, seems simple enough.

I have a meal plan for the duration, not sure what that means logistically or nutritionally. I’m hoping that something is open at stupid o’clock in the morning on Saturday and Sunday mornings. Busses to the start line begin at 3am, you must be on a bus by 4am, in your corral by 5am and there is a 20 minute walk from where you get dropped off to the corrals. Oy Vey! To be on the safe side, I think I’ll take my grocery list to the Expo.

I’m looking forward to meeting some of my Twitter friends. Thursday night is Pasta in the Park and Saturday night I’ll be attending a tweet-up dinner in Downtown Disney.

This time around, no pace groups, no time goals, no mantras, no studying maps or elevations. My strategy is to have no strategy, I’m going to run by feel and maybe channel a little Doris Day.

Que Sera Sera

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry Jeff. We all feel this way before a marathon. Remember, I got hit with Dr. Influenza 4 days before Chicago and somehow survived.

Bob