Friday, March 25, 2011

Freezing My Assets

Hamilton's Around the Bay Road Race is the oldest on the continent, first run in 1894, three years before the Boston Marathon. Rich in tradition, it has been won by the best from around the world, including Boston Marathon winners and Olympic gold medallists. This challenging course windsaround Hamilton's natural harbour but is more known for it's weather. Cold, wet, and miserable are often used to describe this early spring adventure.

So what am I doing in this race? I don't do cold, I don't like wet, and even though misery loves company, I'm really not a company man.

I'm running this event because of those things. Around the Bay is an experience. Yes it can be miserable. Undoubtedly, it’s hilly at the worst possible time. My training group friends participate every year. They love this race. I hear story after story, the worse the weather, the better the story.

This year, it appears that I will escape the wet miserable experience. The sun will be shining. It will be at or almost freezing (0C or 32F). I can do cold, I’ll do it my way by overdressing and being the happy little bird.

At the end, I’ll have my own stories to tell.

After all, isn’t that what running is all about?

1 comment:

Katie said...

wow. sounds bizonkers and i love it. HAVE FUN!