Tuesday, April 19, 2011

I Don't Know What Else to Say

I nearly broke down  watching  Kim Smith's performance in yesterday's 115th running of the Boston Marathon.  I saw her first stumble around the 15 mile markers.  I knew exactly what was happening to her.  I've been there, not once, not twice, but too many times.  The spasm in the calf, out of nowhere. The attempt to change stride to keep it in check.  The undeniable fear in the pit of your stomach, that once it starts, there is nothing you can do about it.

I feel for Kim.  I have experienced how much it hurts to have your day taken away from you. I can only imagine how much more difficult it must be when you are running the race of your dreams.

She sums it up as well as anyone possibly could at the end of the interview, "I don't know what else to say."



If the embedded window is missing heres the link to the video on FloTrack

A second interview went online while I was writing this post.  This one feels almost like an ambush of Kim, the interviewer really needs some empathy coaching.



Here's the link to FloTrack

2 comments:

Katie said...

it was hard to watch no matter what, but i'm sure it was particularly tough for you. i felt for her so much.

Jeff said...

Its being reported that "According to her Facebook page, Kim Smith had an MRI this AM & found a torn Soleus muscle." Which leads to the chicken or egg question. Did she tear her soleus trying to run through the cramping? I bet my dollar on that's exactly what she did.

I can't believe that there are people critisizing her because she didn't finish the race.

She ran for three miles between 15 and 18 trying to save her race and shredded her calf in the process.