Tuesday, April 5, 2011

What’s the Story?

My running mojo is gone. The more I think about going out for a run, the more excuses I seem to be able to find to avoid lacing up the shoes. For simplicity sake let’s list them here:

A: The weather.

B: Work.

C: I’m tired.

D: I ache.

E: All or some of the above

To an extent, all of them are factors, but I can’t seem to put a finger on exactly what is wrong.

I’m slower than I was at this time last year, and a year ago I was fighting an injury and a cold. This year, I’m healthy and knock on wood, injury-free.

Last year, I ran a sub 1:45 half marathon. This past Sunday, I ran most of the same route and struggled with finishing 22 km. It took me just over two hours and I was a tired, tight, aching mess.


You look confused too!
 Looking in to the mirror, I see a very confused fellow looking back.

I came home from the Goofy Challenge feeling energized and renewed. I eagerly jumped back in to training, looking forward to running my first Around the Bay.

There was also the mystery of training outside of the Running Room with a new clinic and group of runners.

The first long run, in freezing temperatures was fun but the “New Relationship Energy” quickly flamed out. I tried to switch things up a bit. Hitting the weight machines mixed in with the cardio helped a bit, but the burned-out feeling really never left. My outdoor mileage dropped to nothing for a couple or three weeks. I wasn’t on a schedule. My training plan did not have a focus. In my head, I kept telling myself, I’d get back on track as the weather got better. The weather never got any better and neither did my focus.

I could run a half marathon this weekend. I won’t. There’s no use paying for a training run. I’m not race ready. I could run it as a 10K that was always a thought in the back of my mind. Run a couple of really fast 10K’s and validate all that speed work prior to the marathon in May. That’s not going to happen either.

Sunday’s schedule has a long run somewhere between 26 and 30 kilometers. I’m dying at 11km in the cold, granted it was after racing the previous weekend and not running again all week because "Insert Previous Excuse Here"

Forty Days has arisen again, it’s now less than 40 days to the GoodLife Toronto Marathon.

I’m not ready and I’m not walking another marathon. A sub-four hour challenge seems out of the question. My head is out of the game and this winter seems like it’s never going to end.

I’m not running, although I am running out of time.

2 comments:

Tori said...

Running out of time for what? There's always more time for another marathon - when the time is right for YOU.

A slump is just a slump. Go with it and don't beat yourself up, and don't fight it! Just sink into that feeling - really try it on and wear it - you might get some insights as to where it's coming from, and where you'd like to go from here. A wise runner once told me that with every run you are forced to confront who you are *at that moment.* Some runs you're a runner. Some runs you're not.

Whatever the case, good luck!

Jeff said...

Thanks Tori!

I'll figure it out one of these days, and when I have the answers, that's the daythey change all the questions.