Thursday, December 15, 2011

From There to Eternity

Wow, it’s almost the end of 2011, and I must admit I’m really looking forward for it to be over.

Sitting on the sidelines watching the world pass you by is not fun.  I’ve been up and down, excited with what feels like recovery, dismayed by setbacks, and sidetracked by unexpected family issues.

My Plantar Fasciitis is getting better, I’m creeping towards recovery.  As the PF got better it was easy to identify a secondary issue with my feet.   After my annual physical this week, my GP referred me to a podiatrist in his building.  Her diagnosis was painful piezogenic pedal papules.  Essentially, I have smashed and mashed the fat pad in my heels and the damaged fatty tissue has encapsulated itself in scar tissue.  The sensation is like walking (since I’m not running) with stones in your shoes right underneath your heels.

The good news is that it’s treatable, first with ultrasound and if that isn’t totally successful then adding a steroid cream to the ultrasound gel and finally (and only if I can get assurances that it won’t limit my ability to run long distances) there is the option for (painful) injections in to the heel to break up the scar tissue.   I’ve engaged a very well respected and knowledgeable physiotherapist from our community to mange my treatment program and he’s already determined there are biomechanical issues that need to be addressed to prevent further recurrences of this type of injury.  We’re also going to address my chronic muscle tightness and hopefully resolve my predisposition to leg cramps.   That is a Win/Win offer I can’t refuse.

While waiting for my feet to recover, I’ve been in the pool and am getting closer to swimming my first lap.  I’m encouraged by those non-swimmers like Mel who have gone before me and successfully made the transition to triathlete.


I’ve worked out most Thursday evenings to ergVideos on CompuTrainers at Multisport Zone with my cohorts in the Balance Point Triathlon Club and occasionally made it in to the gym at work to spend some time on the elliptical to keep my legs moving.

Hopefully I’ll be back on the roads early in the New Year.   I was hoping to run a spring marathon, now I’m not sure.  I’ve registered for Around theBay in March, I have a grudge match with those hills.  We’ll see how that goes.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.  Hugs your kids, walk your dog, live life to the fullest. And remember above all else – Take Care of Your Feet!!!

2 comments:

Katie Joy said...

I moved to swimming too after an injury. I think it'll grow on you. Keep taking care of those feet! Hoping you get healthy soon.

Karen said...

I hope your feet feel better soon!

Merry Christmas and I hope you have a wonderful holiday with your family!

Karen