Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Wasn’t that a Party!


It seems that I haven’t blogged in about 10 weeks.  

Looking at my DailyMile training log it appears I didn’t do much of anything from the middle of January until last week.  Things got pretty dark and bleak on the home front through the winter that never was.

I’m hoping now that the grey winter weather is changing so will my things with my family.  As difficult as it has been we’re holding together one day at a time.

I’m still seeing my physiotherapist on a regular basis, my feet seem much better.  The Plantar Fasciitis is gone and the painful piezogenic pedal papules in my heels are not as pronounced.  Any associated pain is much more manageable when I stand bare foot on a hard surface.   The treatment has consisted of me expanding my vocabulary while my massage-terrorist breaks up the lumpy tissue in each heel.

And since Katie has been so good as to showcase her ass-ets on more than one occasion, I’m upping the ante with some gratuitous butt-cleavage from my electo-accupuncture session just for her.
I’ve been able to get back in to the gym and on both the elliptical and treadmill without too many ill effects.  My cardio is temporarily shot and I’m going to have to start out slowly and rebuild my base.

I finally have the treadmill set up in the laundry room at home.  It could use a strategically place fan for ventilation but other than that no complaints. 

The iFit Live module finally showed up with a little bit of prompting and it seems to be quite the interesting little device. 

For grins and giggles I have selected to start with the Jillian Michaels Weight Loss Program.  Not that I need to lose weight so much but the workouts are in the lower end of my cardio range.  Since I’m rebuilding my base, I’m attempting to adjust my training using the MAF formula.

The 180 Heart Rate Formula was developed by Dr. Philip Maffetone who went on to coach triathlon greats Mark Allen and Mike Pigg. Although this formula is over 20 years old it is very straight forward and simple to calculate.
 
As long as I’m rebuilding, I’m looking at changing my footwear as well.  I attribute my problem with plantar fasciitis to my wearing very light shoes while wearing an orthotic.  There was little to no cushioning in my shoes at all last year and the orthotic would not let my foot flex as I ran.  Needless to say, it’s no wonder I’ve spent the last six months fixing the previous six months.  This time around, I’m looking at a transition shoe.  Right now the leading contender is the Nike Run+2.  In close second is the New Balance Minimus 10.  

Hopefully, it won't be another 10 weeks.

No comments: