Monday, May 28, 2012

And Now For Something Completely Different

I’ve refrained from blogging too many details of issues that my family has dealing with the past year , however I’ve been given some homework from a class that I’ve been attending to help us deal with and understand mental health concerns.  So I’m thinking this is the perfect opportunity to share a couple of very interesting videos that we watched last week.

Brene Brown is a research professor at the University of Houston Graduate College of Social Work. Her topics of study include vulnerability, courage, authenticity, and shame. Her work has been featured on PBS, NPR, TED and CNN.  Her current research focuses on wholeheartedness.

Two of her TED talks involve vulnerability and shame.

Now why on earth would I think to post these on my training blog?

Short story long, because they provide insight in to who we are as athletes.

I love my social media connections and my training group connections, they are my extended family of like-minded individuals, who log lots of miles and spend crazy hours pursuing their endurance goals.   I’ve shared their in successes and their failures.  I’ve seen the struggles of injury, agony of missed goals, the joy of success and the camaraderie of pursing a common goal, to be the best you can be.

As athletes, we are all too familiar with our vulnerabilities.  We are also very well acquainted with shame.  We tend to avoid embracing either one.  Would we become better athletes if we did?

We show our vulnerabilities in a myriad of ways.  Who hasn’t thought, I’m not strong enough, or fast, enough, or good enough to be doing this.

We have all shared the shame in perceived failure, the missing a time goal, suffered through an injury, or missed making the finish.   I have what I refer to as my meaningless medals.  I stoically hide my shame in that I failed myself although I conquered the distance.

Over the next week or so help me with my homework, find some time to watch the videos, Brene is an insightful and engaging speaker.  I’m trying to put her research observations in to the context of my life, whether it is personally, professionally, or athletically. Maybe she can help you with yours.  If nothing else you allowed me to complete my homework assignment by passing the message forward.

Wholeheartedly embrace your vulnerability; on every starting line you demonstrate the willingness to do something where there are no guarantees.  You have made the decision to “dare greatly” and in that alone, there is no shame.


The Power of Vulnerability:




Listening To Shame:

1 comment:

..:danielle:.. said...

very interesting, and im going to definitely check those out. thank you...