Monday, May 13, 2013

2013 FCRR Half Marathon Race Report



PreRace

 I was going post a Forest City Road Races Half Marathon report a week or so ago, in fact I had started to write something, then got side tracked and now for the life of me can’t find it.  I’m pleading the electronic version of the dog ate my race report.

So here it is, better late than never.

FCRR wasn’t a race for me; it was a time to reflect on what running means to me.  I had the opportunity to pace Julianne, much like last year, only this time it wasn’t so spur of the moment that made sure I paid my entry fee and ran the full course. 

The weather turned out great, cool enough to start but plenty warm by the end.  I enjoyed myself out on the course, interacting with people around me, whether it was people running, kids cheering, or the myriad of friends scattered along the route.    I high fived, low fived, corrected other people’s form, laughed and caused Julianne no end of misery cruising along at idle speed while she fought tired legs with her music cranked up.

I was even blessed by one of the Sisters of St Joseph, who stood outside their residence near the top of the hill on Windemere.   Other reports suggest she was celebrating her 80th birthday while cheering on the runners. 

If I hold her hand she can't hit me
After, getting properly censured by Jules on Talbot street for attempted murder.  Apparently, I picked up the pace on the calf killing incline, we finished “hand in hand”.  It may surprise Julianne to know, that she was only 30 seconds slower than last year’s race, in which she actually raced.

Afterwards, we joined friends at Winks where I consumed a week’s work of calories with their Breakfast Poutine.

No comments: